Museum phone number: 845-471-2765.
Please leave a message for inquiries or to request a tour.
The Hudson River State Hospital Museum
The HRPC museum is maintained by NYS and the Hudson River School of Nursing Alumni Association. The museum contains documents and artifacts from the Hospital and the nursing school. Tours are available by appointment only.
As of November 5,2012, the museum is in transition to its new location. Alumni volunteers are working on unpacking, documenting and placing artifacts.
The re-dedication and opening date will be posted on this website when available.
Hudson River Psychiatric Center Historic Museum
The museum first opened on June 10, 1982 in the former patient library which was constructed in 1910. The historical committee consisted of Eddie Chase, June Gill, Donald Holden Sr, Leonard Peluso, Darrell Russell and Betsy Ungvarsky. It was then moved to Cleveland home on the second floor. It opened on May 19, 2004 and was dedicated to John H. Dominquez.MSW. It has now moved to 12 Cheney Drive. It has not officially opened but we are hoping to be open for tours in the spring. Prior to 1982 there was a small exhibit in a room in the school of nursing in the Cheney building.
Provide an insight into the treatment of mental illness from a historical perspective through the display of photographs, documents, and artifacts.
Demonstrate Hudson River Psychiatric Center’s place in local history and the importance of both its buildings and its landscaping as representative of “High Victorian” and “Gothic” ideals.
Provide a place where the work that was done at Hudson River Psychiatric Center can be seen within a context of historical perspective and significance.
Utilize the contents of the museum to educate the public and local colleges of the advances made in the treatment of mental illnesses. This will be achieved through educational guided tours.